Friday, August 15, 2008

2000 Miles+ 5 States+ a family of 4 = VACATION!

We just got back last night from our vacation. We left last Thursday about 7am and headed for Tennessee. We didn't get too far until we hit a "road block" shall we say. There was a MAJOR wreck on I-30 going East. We were forced to sit on the highway for 2 HOURS..yes, I did say 2 HOURS!

There was an 18-wheeler that had pulled off to the shoulder and had its flares up. A little VW Passat came by and clipped the back end of the trailer and ran up underneath the truck. We still don't know if there was a medical emergency, they didn't see him or fell asleep at the wheel. Careflight had to come as well. The passenger died on impact and the driver had to be extricated from the car. I think they later died at the hospital. The truck driver wasn't hurt. Pray for this family. I know they are grieving right now.

Well... after sitting on the highway for that long we were finally able to continue on. After stopping a few times, we finally made it to our destination at about 10:30 p.m. on Thursday. We stayed with our cousin, Gladys, in TN. Friday we didn't do much. Kelly and I went into "town". It's about 15-20 minutes just to get anywhere. On Saturday, we had our family reunion. It was fun. There are a lot of people there. I don't know most of them but it's fun still the less. Sunday we went to church and just hung out at the house.

We left Monday and started to head to our next destination- Branson, MO. We took our time and stopped at a few antique places. We got to Branson on Tuesday afternoon. We had to have lunch at Lambert's. They're famous for their "throwed" rolls. If you want a hot roll, you have to catch it. So.. bring your mitt! :D

After a DELICIOUS meal, we found our hotel and rested for a little while. We had tickets to go see the new "NOAH: The Musical". We've heard great reviews about it, so we decided to go. OH MY GOODNESS!! If you happen to get the chance, it's WONDERFUL!! You actually feel like you are one of the animals on the Ark. It is expensive but it's about the same as any of the other shows up there. I'd give it 5 stars! :D

Wednesday we got up and did a little shopping. We then started heading back home. We thought we would stay in Benton, AR but the antique shops we wanted to go to weren't going to be open on Thursday. :( So, we ate dinner at Chili's and drove to my aunt and uncle's in Mt. Pleasant, TX. Hey.. it's free and we got to see our newest cousin, who is 6 months old. We got up on Thursday and spent a little time with them before heading back. We got back in about 5:30 p.m. yesterday. We unloaded the car and vegged.

It was a pretty good vacation. Mom celebrated her birthday while we were gone. It always seems to fall on vacation time!

Now it's back to reality. I'm heading back to Houston tomorrow morning. We have teacher in-service all next week, so I have to be there for that. I'll have to blog once I get my new classroom set up. Hopefully all the work is done.

Until then...



P.s. I know Mom took pictures, so I'll try to see if I can upload some. :D

1 comment:

Amber S. said...

Sounds fun - especially "Noah: The Musical!" If the boys were older, that would definitely have to be one of the fun things we do with them. (At 18 months I think both boys could almost tell you the "Noah story," as they were given so much Noah stuff being twins and arriving two-by-two!) I really hate that we are missing you again. I'll be busy for a while and may not be able to respond back much, but let me know how your new school year starts - even thought I am sure it will be inservices and such the first week or two.

BTW, your email was already on the list to go out Monday morning! ;-)